AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card

AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card

If you are an immigrant living in the United States, it is important to keep your address updated with the U.S. government. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has a process for immigrants to change their address called AR-11. Failing to file an AR-11 form can lead to serious consequences including deportation. This article will provide an overview of the instructions and process for the AR-11 form.

Why Should You File an AR-11

If you are a foreign national that is living in the United States, it is extremely important that you file an AR-11 form with the USCIS anytime you change residences, even if that residence is temporary. This form allows the agency to keep track of your current address and contact information, which is critical for communicating any issues with your immigration application and ensures that you will continue to receive benefits.

By filing an AR-11 form, you also ensure that you stay updated on any site visits or other communications from immigration officials, allowing you to maintain compliance with all legal requirements for living and working in the US. 

One of the primary benefits of filing an AR-11 is that it makes it much easier for you to stay up-to-date on immigration requirements and regulations. By keeping your address current with USCIS by filling out the AR-11 form, you can ensure that you are always in compliance with all immigration laws to minimize any potential legal or financial risks that you may face.

What Are The Consequences For Not Properly Filling Out Form AR-11?

The consequences for not properly filling out Form AR-11 can be severe. If you do not update your address with the USCIS, you could be deported from the United States. Additionally, if you fail to notify the USCIS of a change of address, you may miss important communications or site visits from immigration officials. This could lead to delays in your immigration application or benefits, and could ultimately result in you being denied a legal immigration status or citizenship in the United States.

What If I Forgot To Update My Address Using an AR-11?

If you have forgotten to file your AR-11, make sure you do so as soon as possible to avoid any potential issues. If you are in any way concerned about your ability to accurately complete the form, contact an immigration lawyer who can help you navigate through any issues.

Tips: Things To Remember When Filing Form AR-11

File your AR-11 as soon as possible after moving to avoid any potential problems. It must be completed within 10 days of your change of address. Fill out the form completely and accurately. If you have any trouble filling it out, get help from an expert at Scott D. Pollock and Associates. Our team of lawyers has over 30 years of experience in immigration law.

You only need to report your most recent address on the form—not all of your previous addresses.

  1. Do not submit one form for an entire family. Each member of the family needs their own form, which means all of your dependents must file their own AR-11 Form even if you are in the same household. 
  2. Check with your local USCIS office and call USCIS National Toll-Free Customer Service to make sure that there have been no changes in filing procedures since you last filed Form AR-11.
  3. Consider using an experienced immigration attorney to make sure your AR-11 form is filled out completely and accurately. 

How Do I Fill Out Form AR-11?

Section 1: Information About You 

Make sure when recording your name in AR-11 that you write it exactly how it appears on your passport and I-94 form. If you do not have a middle name write “none” in the space provided for middle names.

In this section, if you are not either a visitor, student, or permanent resident check “other” and specify your status as

  • Graduated and  in academic training
  • J-1 research scholar
  • Dependent
  • H-1B, O-1, TN, E-3 employee

If you are a legal resident, you’ll also include your alien registration number. If you are not a legal permanent resident, write “none” in the space provided.

Section 2: Information About Your Address 

You’ll fill out your personal residential address. Don’t make the common mistake of writing your postal address instead of your residential address. It is imperative that this section is filled out with accuracy.  Office, work, or department addresses are not sufficient and will lead to your application being denied.

For Temporary Addresses

If your living situation is temporary, give your best estimate for how long you’ll be at your current address and then complete another AR-11 when you move. 

Port/Date Of Entry Into U.S.

In this section,  enter the airport or city where you most recently entered the U.S. If you don’t remember the information from your initial arrival, you can find it all on your I-94 card, the DS-2019 form from your initial entry, or in your passport.

Place Of Work / Attending School

J-1 research scholars and current students who have not graduated must both write the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) address. Students who have graduated and are on academic training or H-1B, O-1, TN, E-3 employees will write their employer name and address.

Immigrants Who Are Not a Permanent Resident

J-1 research scholars and current students will write the end date of the DS-2019. Students who have graduated must write the end date of their Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Employment Authorization Document (EAD). H-1B, O-1, TN, and E-3 employees should write the end date of their most recent I-94.

Where to File Your Form AR-11 

You can complete and submit your AR-11 form online or through your USCIS account. If you are a victim of domestic violence, trafficking, or have previously filed a Form I-751 abuse waiver, you may submit yourAR-11 Form as a paper copy via mail.  Refer to the USCIS website to find the mailing address for your state. 

Changing your address with only the U.S. Postal Service is not sufficient. You must update your address with both the post office and USCIS. 

How The Attorneys at Scott D Pollock & Associates P.C. Can Help You Fill Out Form AR-11

Form AR-11 is something that has to be done the right way, and during the stress of moving, it can be difficult to complete this form in a timely and accurate way. Form filling, especially for an entire family,  can be difficult especially if procedures have changed. Having the guidance of an experienced immigration attorney can help alleviate any worry that comes with Form AR-11. The experienced Chicago attorneys at Scott D Pollock & Associates P.C. can be with you every step of the way.

With over 70 years of combined experience, our lawyers are well-equipped to provide insight, guidance, and support as you start or continue your journey to United States residency. If you have any questions about your immigration pathway, please call us at 312.444.1940 or fill out an online form today. We look forward to hearing from you!

We're looking forward to hearing from you!