A Quick Guide to Form G-28

A Quick Guide to Form G-28

Form G-28 is used to identify the legal representation for your case, whether that is an attorney, accredited representative, or law student working under the supervision of an attorney.  This form is not required if you do not have legal representation helping you with your case.

Form G-28 can also serve as evidence during any court proceedings related to immigration matters if there are concerns or questions about who is responsible for representation. It is proof that you are being represented by a qualified professional.

What Can Your Attorney Do After Submitting Form G-28?

Since your immigration files are confidential, this form gives your attorney permission to access information about you and your case and to communicate with the USCIS and other immigration officials on your behalf.

When Should You Sign Form G-28?

When you hire an attorney to help you with your immigration case, you should expect them to provide Form G-28 for you to sign. Your attorney or accredited representative must fill out this form. Your only responsibility is to sign and date the form in the designated space.

However, if you receive a legal consultation but don’t intend to hire an attorney for your case, you should not sign this form. If you decide to hire a different attorney at any time during your case, the new attorney will submit a separate G-28 form to replace the previous form.

Form G-28 Filing Process

The four-page form is fairly simple. It should be completed legibly in black ink by your attorney or accredited representative. 

Part 1: Your attorney or accredited representative will provide a USCIS Online Account number (if any) and their basic contact information including their name, address, and phone number.

Part 2: In this section, your representative will specify their eligibility requirements, such as whether they are a licensed attorney, an accredited representative, or a law student or law school graduate working under the direct supervision of a licensed attorney. Additionally, they’ll identify their bar number (if applicable) and the law firm or organization they are associated with.

Part 3: Your representative will identify the specific matter of the appearance and if it is with USCIS, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Additionally, they’ll include basic information about you as their client, including your name, USCIS account number (if any), an A-Number (if any), contact information, and mailing address.

Part 4: In this section, you will provide your signature, the date, and identify whether notices should be sent to your attorney or accredited representative’s business address or your U.S. mailing address.

If you want USCIS to send notices to your attorney, check the box next to item number 1.a. in Part 4. This could include receipt notices, biometric notices, requests for evidence, approval notices, and denials.

If you want the USCIS to send secure documents to your attorney like green cards, employment authorization documents, or naturalization certificates, you will check the box next to item number 1.b. in Part 4.

If you want the USCIS to send notices with a tear-off Form I-94 to you, you’ll check the box next to Item Number 1.c. in Part 4.

Part 5: Finally, the attorney or accredited representative will sign and date the form.

There is an additional space in Part 6 if you did not have room to include all relevant information in the space allotted in the other parts of the form.

Where Do I File Form G-28?

Form G-28 should be filed at the same time as your application, petition, or request to USCIS. Make sure to include a copy of Form G-28 with your filing.

It’s important to remember that you must submit a new Form G-28 each time you change attorneys or submit a new application, petition, or request.

Finally, keep in mind that Form G-28 must be submitted before any legal proceedings can take place, such as an interview or hearing.  If you don’t submit the form beforehand, your attorney is not allowed to participate in the proceedings and any evidence or representation they provide might not be considered.

What Is the Filing Fee for Form G-28?

There is no filing fee for G-28. However, you may have consultation fees or other legal fees from your attorney to represent you.

What Happens After I File Form G-28?

After filing Form G-28 with USCIS, the agency will review it and send a notice of receipt to you and your attorney. This notice will contain the receipt number that can be used to track the form.

USCIS might also contact your attorney to verify their eligibility and qualifications to represent you. Be sure to provide accurate contact information for both yourself and your attorney on Form G-28 so that USCIS can easily reach you if necessary.

Once the form is approved, your attorney will be able to act as a legal representative for you and your case. With Form G-28, you can ensure that the legal representation of your choice is recognized by the U.S. government for any type of application, petition, or request that you file with USCIS.

Benefits of Form G-28

If you allow USCIS to send correspondence and notices to your attorney, they can quickly help you understand what information USCIS is requesting and will assist you in meeting all pertinent deadlines. 

You will likely receive a copy of whatever documents concerning your case that your attorney receives from the U.S. government.

Finally, with this form you ensure that your legal representative has established their eligibility to appear and act on your behalf for your case.

Common Mistakes When Filing Form G-28

The most common mistake when filing Form G-28 is failing to provide accurate contact information for your attorney or accredited representative and forgetting to sign the form. Additionally, it’s important to make sure you check the boxes correctly in Part 4 so that notices and documents get sent to the right person or address.

Finally, keep in mind that if you do change your address, you’ll need to file an AR-11 Change of Address Form to inform USCIS about your new address.

If you do make a mistake when filing Form G-28, you may need to resubmit the form with the correct information. Make sure to double-check your information before submitting the form. By ensuring that all the information on your G-28 is accurate and up to date, you can be confident that your application or petition will get properly processed by USCIS.

What if My Attorney Withdraws from My Case?

If your attorney no longer wants to represent you in a specific case for any reason, they must submit a written notice of withdrawal to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). At this time, you’d be treated as unrepresented unless a new Form G-28 is submitted for a new attorney or accredited representative working on your behalf.

Foreign Attorneys

If you have a case being adjudicated in DHS offices outside the United States, you might be looking for representation with a foreign attorney. In the case where an attorney is not licensed to practice law in the U.S., they must file a Form G-28I instead of Form G-28. DHS has complete discretion to allow this type of representation.

Why You Should Hire an Attorney for Your Immigration Case

While the information in this article will help you understand Form G-28 and its function, it’s important to recognize that immigration is a complex area of law. Any confusion or missteps could lead to problems for your case down the line.

That’s why it’s essential to hire experienced attorneys who can guide you through every step of the process. A qualified immigration lawyer will be familiar with the most up-to-date USCIS regulations, procedures, and processes. They’ll also ensure that your paperwork is accurate and complete so you don’t miss important deadlines.

At Scott D. Pollock and Associates, our legal team will evaluate your case and help you navigate the process and keep you on track to achieving your immigration goals. 

If any unexpected challenges arise with your case, an attorney can help you navigate those challenges efficiently and as quickly as possible. With their help,  you can make sure your immigration journey is as straightforward and stress-free as possible.

Best of all, you’ll have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your case is in the hands of a knowledgeable and experienced professional who will do everything they can to get you the results you want. 

Questions to Ask Before You Hire an Immigration Attorney

When you’re looking for an immigration attorney, there are a few key questions you should ask.

First, make sure the lawyer is licensed to practice and is in good standing with their local bar association. If you are a law school student or graduate practicing under the supervision of a licensed attorney, you should make sure that the attorney they are working under is licensed and in good standing. 

Second, verify that the attorney has experience handling immigration cases similar to yours. Ask them about prior success rates and strategies they may have used to obtain positive results for their clients.

Finally, ask about consultation fees and other costs associated with their services. Understanding the full cost of legal representation upfront can help you determine if this is the best option for you.

By taking the time to find an experienced immigration attorney, you can rest assured that you’ll have the best possible chance of obtaining a favorable outcome in your immigration case.

Understanding Form G-28 is one small step— but it’s an important one. The form serves as a bridge that connects you with experienced legal representation so you can get the help you need to navigate the complex immigration system. With their assistance,  you can confidently pursue your goal of living and working legally in the United States.

Scott D. Pollock and Associates Can Help With Your Case

At Scott D. Pollock & Associates, our team of experienced immigration lawyers provide comprehensive legal services for individuals and families who are looking to navigate the U.S. immigration system.

We understand the challenges that come with filing for visas and other forms of immigration relief, which is why we strive to provide personalized attention and a commitment to our clients’ successes.

Our attorneys are knowledgeable about the most up-to-date regulations and procedures in U.S. immigration law so that you can be confident that your case is in good hands. To learn more about our services or to get started with a consultation. Contact us today by filling out our online contact form

We're looking forward to hearing from you!